Friday, August 28, 2015

Reading is more than fundamental . . . It can fill a life


I read a lot.

Books, newspapers, magazines, news stories . . . fiction and non-fiction . . . history, current events, fantasy, business books and articles, how-to books, and on and on. All right, I’ll admit it . . . I’m a bit of a book addict. And while most of my news reading is via my computer (I subscribe online to the New York Times and Washington Post) I still manage to check at least half-a-dozen papers a day as well as on-line news outlets like Huffington Post and Politico, CNN, Fox and other networks. 

I love to read.

I guess I was lucky. My parents read to me (and my sister) a lot. Always a story at bedtime when I was a kid. Reading was easy for me. It’s not for everyone. Some people just don’t like to read, others have more serious issues like dyslexia, which can make reading a tough challenge . . . or an eye or ear issue, which can delay or hamper one’s ability to enjoy the escape many books for kids offer . . .or a challenge with comprehension, which can make reading and understanding what’s being read more difficult.

So what’s the point?

A couple . . . Reading at any age is important, and reading a variety of things, I think, is also important. Read more than one newspaper and one gets more than one perspective. It’s like watching TV . . . watch Fox and you get one take and watch MSNBC and you might get another. Information from multiple sources makes us better informed. I grew up in a family that gathered around the table every night and discussed not only what we kids did during the day, but also current events. It made us pay attention.

Of course we didn’t have video games, wide-screen high-def TVs connecting to streaming movies and hundreds of TV channels, or smart phones. Probably a good thing.

So we read.

Today, as I said earlier, most of my news reading is online, but I struggle with real books vs books on my Kindle. I do subscribe to several real, printed on paper magazines . . .

My girls gave me a Kindle a couple of years ago and I use it regularly, take it with me when I go out and download a number of books every month. Digital versions of my magazines are also downloaded to the Kindle.

My conflict is not that I don’t like the Kindle, but that I also like the touch and feel of real books. They make me feel comfortable, filling the shelves in my living room and office. I’m in the process of giving a number of them away . . . books I won’t read again . . . but carefully keeping many of the military and history books as well as a few fiction series (and admittedly a few books kept for their cover art . . . like Frank Frazetta’s Conan the Barbarian covers on the Robert E. Howard series and the complete set of Tarzan paperbacks highlighting a variety of artists, like Boris Vallejo, Joe Kubert and others). Most books I just won’t read again and again, so off they go overseas to troops, or the local hospital and a senior living facility down the road, as well as to a local used-book shop with my credit going to a school. Not at all noble . . . I’d never throw books away, and giving them to people that will read them seems a natural course.

So online, Kindle or off the shelves, reading, in large part thanks to my parents, remains a major part of me. Do parents today read to their kids enough and encourage them to read? Probably not . . . There are many more distractions nowadays, and that’s too bad . . . Reading has taken me to places real and imagined and to times past and times in the future, put me in a tank in North Africa during World War 2, on a farm in the Midwest, in New Orleans after Katrina, and a million other places.

Those are the places we should encourage our kids to go.

Grab a book and find a comfy spot . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment