Thursday, October 1, 2015

My gardening season comes to an end as Fall descends

The gardening season here in New Hampshire is coming to an end. No frost at my place yet, but nights have been into the low 40s, so it’s coming soon.

Picked most everything left the other day, except for a few green tomatoes and some lettuce.


It was a relatively good year for my little container garden on the deck . . . Lots of tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, green beans and radishes and some herbs. My summer squash and cucumbers didn’t do well . . . drowned early in the season in self-watering pots, along with my green onions, so next year I’ll make sure all the self-water reservoirs are taken off the pots in the Spring and won’t plant the squash so packed together. I tried to push the space of some plants, and squash is one I won’t next year. I had great squash and zucchini last year.

But the tomatoes and peppers more or less made up for the lack of squash and cucumbers. I planted too many varieties, but it was worth seeing what did well. Cherry tomatoes were like candy and the larger tomatoes I planted worked well in salads. I live alone, so ended up with a bunch of extras, so I roasted and then froze them to be turned into sauce this winter . . . or maybe added to chili.

I think some of the peppers will end up in my bread and butter pickles as well as some relish, and the rest frozen for this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment