Friday, November 11, 2011

My Pet Peeves . . . I Have a Few (Don't Try to Steal Them . . . They're Mine)

Much as I’d like to say I have no pet peeves, the truth is I actually have a few. Hard to believe, but our pet peeves are our way of pausing and going, “hmmm . . . that’s weird . . . why do they do that?” You know, those little things that kind of make us twitch a bit. Now, since I’m pretty much a hermit up here in New Hampshire I’ve whittled down my pet peeve list a bit.

But a few remain. Most of them, I’ll admit, are a bit silly . . .

What’s with the tomato and lettuce on the bottom of those restaurant burgers? That stuff’s supposed to be on top.

Why can’t a label be honest? “Natural,” for instance means virtually nothing on a food label. I also want to know whether or not my veggies have been genetically engineered or my fish raised in some fish farm somewhere. So tell me.

Why can I get an airplane delivered by Amazon for nothing, but it costs more than the product itself to ship from some places? (Finally Harry and David is offering better or free shipping on some orders . . . and LL Bean’s is nailing it with its new free shipping policy and ad campaign.)

Hair plugs. Really? One of my subconscious work rules was to never work for a guy with hair plugs. If he’s that insecure about his hairline, what the heck else is he going to be insecure about and how does that play with his being a boss? And while we’re at it, why are there still so many guys doing the comb-over thing? If’s you’re covering more than a couple of inches of bare landscape, then cut it and forget it.

Stop trying to make your restaurant’s food fancier than it is. Resist your urge to cover a great piece of fish with an over-wrought sauce. Keep it simple and showcase the food.

Don’t ask me to trust you while you’re sharpening a knife when I’m not around. The workplace has changed . . . look out for yourself and protect yourself. They’ll dump you if they can because they have their own agendas, and you may not know what they are. Be careful about hitching a ride on your boss’ skirt because you never know when they’ll come after him or her and you’ll get caught in the crossfire. Call me a cynic . . . but it happens again and again . . . we all have the work scars to prove it.

I’ll save a few for later . . . I don’t want to seem too pet peevy, after all . . .






No comments:

Post a Comment