Friday, February 14, 2014

A year ago I had two feet . . . But I'm still alive and well . . .


THE END

It has been nearly a year since I crashed and ended up spending more time than anyone would want in the hospital. But I’ve been home for a few months and things couldn’t be better.

Oh sure, it’s a pain in the ass waking up in the middle of the night and having to put on your right leg to go to the bathroom, but one adjusts. One either has to or just fade away, and after all that time not here, I’m really happy to be here at home.

The ramp in the hallway from the living room to the bedroom is just fine, and the wider doors are perfect with the wheelchair when I use it. I do exercises every morning in bed after my shower, meditate then do some strength building, up and down the ramp 10 or 20 times, some standing exercises in the kitchen (squats, side and back leg kicks and the like) holding on to the counter, and walking with crutches either outside (when the driveway’s clear) or a few laps around the house.

A very nice young lady, Becky 2.0 (as opposed to my friend Becky), comes and cleans every couple of weeks and Chasity grocery shops for me, takes out the trash and picks up the mail. It’s hard to carry much using crutches, but some of those things will be easier when I can drive.

Yep, it’s been nearly a year since I’ve driven as well, as previous posts have outlined. Most places frown on right-leg-amps driving with a regular vehicle set-up, so one has to adapt a vehicle with hand controls or a left-foot accelerator. After reading up on the options, I didn’t want a left-foot accelerator (and my evaluation when I started driver training recommended hand controls as well). So that’s where I am now, learning how to drive with hand controls. With a few lessons left and my new used Jeep to be adapted, driving again will soon be a reality. Yipppeeee. Freedom.

The most recent visit to the doc showed everything appears good . . . weight (too heavy, but better), blood pressure and pulse normal, and blood sugar (A1C) very normal. All my old medications have been trashed for new medications, lower doses and less strong drugs. All good.

My bucket list for the year includes a bunch of things (hey, lying around a hospital causes one to make all kinds of lists), including some fishing and lots more photography. I’d love to take a dip in a pool, but have to figure out how I can get in and out of it. (That could prove embarrassing.)

We all make adjustments in our lives. Thanks to my family and my friends, I’m here and able to make a few adjustments. Turns out you can teach an old guy at least a few tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment