Monday, February 10, 2014

Carbon fiber, titanium and stainless steel . . . I get a shiny new leg and another chapter begins


On May 17, a Friday . . . about 80 days after first entering the hospital . . . I tried on a new leg.

David Loney the prosthesis maker (Willow Brook Prosthetics and Orthodics) made a finished leg instead of a test leg in the hopes that it’d fit perfectly with minor adjustments and we could start rehab with a leg. It fit, but he wasn’t completely happy with it, so he took it back to his shop and presented me with a shiny new leg the next week. I have to say that after spending weeks in a hospital, sometimes feeling fabulously helpless since I couldn’t get in and out of bed without assistance, which included at one point a ceiling lift hoisting me to a wheelchair, seeing that prosthesis for the first time was pretty incredible.

The leg was really the first physical sign we were coming to the end of the rehab road. Not that the road would be easy at all, but just having that leg pulled over the stump of my right leg brought tears to my eyes . . . the feeling of helplessness started to fade because I knew, or at least thought I knew, that with a prosthesis, I’d be all right. I stood up with the leg on, a post at the bottom of the urethane sleeve that went over my stump (the politically correct term is “residual limb”) clicked into the metal piece at the bottom of the carbon fiber socket.

David inspected, moved the prosthesis a bit, and checked how high the ridge of the socket was on my leg. Then I stood up.

For the first time in weeks, I could balance my rather substantial bulk on two legs. Ok, one of them wasn’t really mine, but still, the feeling was wonderful. The prosthesis didn’t hurt, rub or press against parts of my leg that it shouldn’t. A gentle firmness held the back of my leg (which will, over time, get smaller and smaller as the existing muscles and tissue shrink).

My physical therapist, Cindy, stood at my right shoulder as I stood up from the chair. David, with his hands on the safety belt around my chest, watched me take a few tentative steps forward. Holding on to the parallel bars, I had to look down since I had no idea (let alone feeling) where the rather fake looking rubber foot (stuffed into a sneaker) was going. But everything worked . . . more or less . . . and that feeling of helplessness faded a bit more as we talked about the changes that would be made to the final (hopefully) finished leg.

The fake foot on the prosthesis was a size too big . . .

“Your foot’s in the mail,” David told me with a straight face.

Rehab at Valley Regional Hospital was going pretty well. Three young women were responsible for that . . . Jessica, my occupational therapist, worked with me to get in and out of bed, in and out of the shower and, along with my physical therapists, safely in and out of the wheelchair . . . both before and after I had my prosthesis. Cindy was my main physical therapist, charged with teaching me how to, in essence, walk again . . . using a walker, and later crutches. Sarah, the head physical therapist, also made sure I was, literally, making steps . . . OK, they weren’t always pretty steps and often a bit unsure . . . in the beginning, I kept catching the toe of the prosthesis as I moved it forward . . . pretty much giving everyone a heart attack as I stumbled a bit each time.

*********

Erin visited me in the rehab hospital about three weeks after I got my leg, and watched a physical therapy session before lunch with my parents, who had been visiting regularly after migrating back north to Vermont from Florida . . . Erin got a bit teary when the two of us went back to my room. It was the first time she’d seen me out of bed since I first went to the ER February 27 . . . and the first time she’d seen me walk since then as well . . . Never really knowing if I would be able to walk again. Thanks to my leg maker . . . Yeah, I’m a sap . . . I cried, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment