Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A life of cars . . .

What was your favorite car? Not the one you admired the most, but one you owned and drove day in and day out? (I admired a bunch of muscle cars, starting with the Shelby Cobra, and almost bought a used Plymouth Superbird . . . don’t laugh . . . it was a driver and would have cost less than $5,000 . . . Oh stupid me for not buying it.)

I haven’t owned a ton of cars over the years, and none of them fancy or especially unique, but I remember them all. I got my license when I was 16 years old and I’m now 60, so that’s a lot of years. A list? (Most of them anyway . . .) Dodge Dart, Ford Galaxie 500, Saab, Toyota Corolla, Subaru hatchback, Subaru Outback, a couple of used Volvos, Ford Explorer, Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee . . . That includes my cars and, when married, our cars.

Nothing fancy, but that Dodge Dart was great (bulletproof mechanics), and worked well at Stratton Mountain when seeing how close we could come to the snow banks in the parking lots at night as we spun and drifted, the rear end just skimming the snow. Bought it from Dad for I think $700. Its life ended when hit from behind by a city bus as I was turning into a restaurant for a farewell lunch after a turn as a summer intern at an ad agency.

It was a sad end, too, for that Galaxie 500 when I was in college . . . smashed at an intersection by a Cadillac going maybe 50 miles per hour whose driver ran a red light and nailed the passenger side, spun me around a couple of times, hit the corner of a bank and came to a stop. Thankfully nobody was in the passenger seat, since the door was pushed halfway to the driver’s side. I got 200 stitches in my head and face, a concussion and a (temporarily) damaged neck out of the deal, and I think $7,500 in a settlement, which enabled me to buy the used Saab 99.

That Saab saw me through the rest of college after the Galaxie . . . snowstorms, skiing trips and ice racing in Cooperstown, N.Y. during winter festival there. . . and into my marriage. I’d put two driving lights on it and as we came out of the reception, one of my groomsmen (who shall remain mostly nameless) had gotten into the car and stretched a bra over them. Dad was not pleased. Kinda funny.


Lisa had a Simca, a front-wheel drive French car she nursed through college with quick mechanical fixes and baggies over the distributor cap when it rained.

The first new car Lisa and I bought together was the Subaru hatchback. Boy were Subarus a different breed back then . . . It was a simple two-door, front-wheel-drive, manual car, designated DL (which I think meant bottom of the line) . . . Followed by an Outback wagon whose life ended heading to the Jersey Shore on the New Jersey Turnpike in a weekend traffic multi-car crash. Younger Child was pissed she got hit in the head by a foam belly board that slid forward, but delighted in repeating Lisa’s language as she walked around the car surveying the damage after the crash.

My family seems to have been delighted by Subarus, with both kids, Lisa, Mom and Dad and my aunt and uncle owning them over the years.

The Ford Explorer took us out west for a Bixby family reunion . . . Sturgis, the Black Hills and Badlands, and Niagra Falls among the stops on the way. No GPS back then. Fortunately Lisa was good with a map.

Elder Child got the Explorer and I got an Expedition, which still lives here with a friend in New Hampshire.

I missed a bit of time driving after I lost my leg (Well, I keep saying that, but I didn’t really lose it, of course . . . someone knows where it went.) But after some driver’s ed on hand controls, Younger Child (she had to test drive) and I picked the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee that sits in my driveway, hand controls and all.

She’s not a Cobra, and she’s not at all fancy, but she’s mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment