Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Oh the joys of Amazon (The 800-pound online gorilla)

Let’s get something out of the way first . . . I am an Amazon whore. I’m addicted. For years I’ve enjoyed the pleasures of online shopping, quick delivery and the arrival of those boxes that remind me of Christmas.

I’ve been a Prime member for more than 10 years. Being able to go online, order a “whatever” and have it delivered to my door 2 days later gives me a certain (albeit a touch too consumption oriented) satisfying tingle. That I don’t have to pay extra for delivery is a bonus . . . (note that delivery itself is free (two days), but there is a yearly Prime cost of $99 now. 

Still, Amazon has spoiled delivery for virtually every other company hanging out a digital shingle. 

I’ve often noted that companies that charge tons for delivery are largely dead to me. Those that charge a delivery fee based on the cost of the items ordered are living in the dark ages and are especially dead to me . . . (Note to Harry & David and their affiliated companies . . . bring yourselves into the current business models.)

I don’t mind reasonable flat shipping charges, like those offered by my favorite olive oil company, Lucero, which offer flat rate shipping sliding scale, starting at $9.95, and free shipping on orders $150 or more. Their boxes filled with glass bottles weigh a ton, and yet they still offer reasonable rates.

To be sure, all shipping rates have risen, so companies continually scramble to stay competitive and still try and cover costs (more or less).

Amazon doesn’t report how many boxes it ships, so it’s a best-guess based on revenue and sales information. Best guess I’ve seen is that Amazon ships between 3.5 and 4.5 million packages a day. A day. That’s about 1,460,000,000 packages a year (using 4 million a day as a reasonable guess). 

That’s a lot of packages.

Most of my Amazon packages are delivered by UPS, with a few deliveries by FedEx and a smaller number by the Postal Service. Again, no companies report how many of Amazon’s packages they deliver. The delivery choice is pretty regional, with UPS the dominant delivery company and, say, FedEx in others, as well as some local and regional companies in other areas and bigger cities.

To be sure, Amazon, and other large online retailers have hurt small mom and pop stores which get no huge breaks on shipping. Some link up with other services, like Etsy, which offers an economic shipping program. Ebay offers a variety of programs that make shipping simple for its sellers. 

Personally, I’ve found the Postal Services Flat Rate (envelopes and boxes) shipping program very simple for those of us who ship things every once in a while and don’t need a UPS or FedEx customer program.

So for all those millions and millions of packages, it’s really amazing my Amazon stuff gets here in 2 days, as ordered and not damaged in and amongst all the millions and millions of other packages.

Thank goodness.



No comments:

Post a Comment