Thursday, December 31, 2015

A few personal thoughts and (little) goals for a New Year

I guess we all make resolutions at one time or another . . . It sure seems the thing to do New Year’s Eve. Can I avoid making "resolutions" and instead offer a few thoughts on things that are important to me next year and maybe a few things I hope to accomplish? (Don't get all excited, they're pretty unexciting and perhaps mundane, but I'm owning them, such as they are.)

So what’s on my mind entering a new year? Here’s are 7 thoughts . . .

I’ll start by stating the obvious . . . I want to stay healthy this year and avoid hospitals. It sure seems that if hospitals were timeshares and I had a piece of that action, I’d get my money’s worth out of it . . . I’d rather avoid that.

1. So I’ll eat better and exercise more, increase the walking and lift more weights.

The house is my castle. The bedroom has been rearranged, living room and kitchen areas are good, but the office remains a disaster.

2. That office cleanup will be finished in 2016.

As my de-cluttering continues, I’ll pare things down a bit . . . That means some books, dvds, art and random collections (maybe even some comic books) will go. More books to the senior home and the troops, and a few things on Craigslist. All my salt water fishing things went this year, but the freshwater gear is set.

3. That means some more fishing in 2016.

I’ve always enjoyed photography . . . whether in college shooting mostly spots, or working at the paper and covering breaking news or features for my articles. More of that in 2016 . . .

4. Travel with a camera and make sure to always think of photo ops, no matter where I’m going or what I’m doing. Take more photos and work to take better photos.

My garden has become a real pleasure for me. All on my newly expanded deck in a variety of containers and planting tables, my little garden explodes with bright colors at the end of the summer as tomatoes and peppers turn from green to red, yellow and orange.

5. Plant fewer varieties in 2016 and increase production of veggies I can dry, freeze and preserve. And grow a better flower containers to attract more bees and hummingbirds.

Along with that goes some more canning . . . Jam in 2016, as well as the pepper relish and pepper jelly I did this year . . . Applesauce from my trees was good and we’ll do that again.

6. Write more.

I did that this year with my blog, but I need to finish (Book One) Anika . . . Rise of a Warrior (I’ve found my emotional ups and downs and comings and goings play a major role in how much of that I’ve worked on.) . . . Time to wrap it up. 

7. Finally, I’ll always try to look for the “half full” in everything. Disengage with the negative people in your life. Negativity tears us apart over time, and I do believe that sending out positive vibes has a positive effect on other people and events. Surprise people . . . pay for someone’s meal . . . pay something forward in even a small way . . . Enjoy your life . . . Smile and laugh a lot, and love the people around you with all your heart . . .

Those are my hopes for 2016 . . .

Happy New Year . . . Raise a glass . . .

2 comments:

  1. Wow. What a great list of aspirations for the new year!
    You've made great strides in the last few months... since you've been home from the hospital actually. I can't wait to see what the garden produces this year, and look forward to watching and hearing about your progress. I have faith that you'll remember us when it comes time to distribute the fruits of your labor. (pardon the pseudo pun, after all, they'll be veggies, not fruits)
    I hope the bedroom gives you a fresh new space and becomes your haven for restful complete nights sleep.
    That glass half full thing.. you've always been pretty good at it. Nice to see it will continue. If I cut down my negativity by 10% this year, will you keep me around? lol.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would seem I am stuck with you. The glass will always be half full, and progress is being made in most places, including the house.There will be plenty of veggies . . . and later pepper relish and pepper jelly. We're working on the sleep thing. I am striving for a 20 percent reduction in your negativity. Ha . . . It's 2016 . . . a new year . . . Raise a glass to 2016

      Delete