Saturday, January 2, 2016

An open letter to my shameful NH House of Representatives

This post is a little different . . . But unfortunately it's my reaction to a political back and forth here in New Hampshire that got too personal, which seems to happen way too often in today's political arenas. We elect these people to represent us, not stand up and talk about a female colleague's breasts.

The link to one of the articles, one of my Facebook comments, and my letter to the Speaker of the New Hampshire State House of Representative follows. I haven't written a snail-mail letter to a public official in some time, but this kind of behavior by our public officials (not just in my state but across the country), has reached a new low . . . or several new lows. 


On Facebook, I commented in this earlier . . . It's clear we need umpires in politics today who will put idiots like this in a penalty box when then say incredibly stupid things like . . . 'No disrespect but your nipple would be the last one I would want to see' to a NH female state representative colleague . . . or . . . 'If it's a woman's natural inclination to pull her nipple out in public and you support that,' NH State Rep. Josh Moore wrote, 'than you should have no problem with a mans inclantion [sic] to stare at it and grab it. After all... It's ALL relative and natural, right?'

Where the hell do these idiots come from? Do they not have wives, female friends and daughters? They should be publicly humiliated by having to stand in a public square and repeat . . . "Women are people, too, and they deserve to be respected." for 3 days . . . My mind is exploding thinking about how someone who claims to represent the people in this state could say something so ignorant.”


January 1, 2016

Speaker Shawn N. Jasper
New Hampshire State House of Representatives
107 North Main Street, Concord, NH 03301

Dear Mr. Jasper

I am appalled, embarrassed and angry at the recent comments made by Rep. Josh Moore and Rep. Al Baldasaro regarding women and would strongly recommend they be reprimanded and sanctioned by the House.

Their comments regarding Rep. Amanda Bouldin were sexist, abusive, ignorant and completely out of place in the public forum that at least presumes to represent the people of New Hampshire. There is no excuse for such comments and no excuse for their ignorance and Neanderthal-like attitude towards not only Rep. Bouldin, but all women.

The fact that they feel they said nothing wrong, is further evidence of their ignorance.

As the father of two adult daughters, how can I tell them we live in a world where they are treated as equals to any man when two of my State Representatives obviously don’t agree with that? How can I tell my grandsons that it isn’t OK for them to bully and speak badly to girls when my State Representatives do that? How can I encourage young people to be fair and open minded when my State Representatives aren’t? When my State Representative bring shame upon the entire political process by standing up in public and shouting down a colleague simply because she is female, how do you expect your constituents to respect you and what you do?

It’s no wonder politicians are viewed as immoral hacks focused more on their own narrow political interests than those of all the people they represent.

I encourage all members of the New Hampshire House of Representatives (and Senate) to take a step into the modern world and eliminate this kind of misogynistic attitude among our elected officials. These two men should be reprimanded, sanctioned and publicly apologize for their words.
It’s well past time when this type of behavior is acceptable.

I hope my State Representatives can move into 2016 with a better attitude and a less childish stance on issues that should be important to us all.

We’ll be watching.

Steve Brophy

1 comment:

  1. How did we get here? Can you imagine this kind of diatribe even just a few years ago? Reagan standing up and talking about women's breasts, or any one else? Outrageous. I hope we can recover.

    ReplyDelete